August 31, 2015

P.S. I Still Love You Book Review


Book Name: P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before #2)

Author: Jenny Han

Published: May 26, 2015

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Genre: YA Contemporary

Posted by:


Blurb:

Lara Jean didn't expect to really fall for Peter.

She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren't. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.

When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean's feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that's the part of hat makes it so amazing.

Lisamentary:

P.S. I Still Love You starts off right where To All the Boys I've Loved Before. A lot of things come to light that was set into motion in the last book, which was left off on a freakin' cliffhanger! For instance, Lara Jean's family finds out about her hot "salacious" hot tub video with Peter, a love triangle is formed among Lara Jean, John Ambrose McClaren, and Peter, and much, much more!!! 

Even though I loved this book, I did not love this book as much as the first!! This is basically all attributed to Peter and his wishy-washy ways. I hated how he always ditched and kept secrets from Lara Jean to protect his ex-girlfriend, Genevieve, whom I am not all to fond of because she's a bee-yotch to put it nicely. This was because he had a superhero-complex and needed to feel like a "man," which Genevieve made him feel, since Lara Jean had a life of her own and didn't need him constantly. 

This made me love Lara Jean so much more!! She was independent and didn't need Peter, though she did want him, and did the best of what she could with John Ambrose McClaren, whom I really got to like. But his name is a huge mouthful!! Like SIX syllables long!! So, even in my mind, I shorten it to McClaren because how generic is John? And Ambrose is just too old-fashioned and makes me think of powder-wigged dudes in petticoats! Despite McClaren being a bit tame and all, he was surprise because he wasn't a total bore that I was expecting him to be and with a name like that, at least he has something going for him. 

Now, back to Genevieve, can you say damsel-in-distress? How 18th century of her!! Lara Jean is 21st century woMAN!! But, yeah, I really didn't like Genevieve nor did I sympathize with her, even when I found out her secret that Peter couldn't tell Lara Jean. So what she has daddy issues? She shouldn't be taking it out on Lara Jean and acting so intolerable! If she did, she might still have Peter…HAHAHAHAHA!! No, she wouldn't because Peter and Lara Jean are MTB! And how cute was it that they were childhood sweethearts. Well, kinda.

Besides the old gang (Daddy, Kitty, etc.), who I still love dearly, I also fell in love with Stormy, John Ambrose McClaren's grandma. She's like that grandma on the sitcom that's so sweet and would rock you on her lap when you're sad, but she's sassy too! She actually reminds me a lot of Betty White in The Proposal, which is an AMAZING rom-com that everyone should watch at least once in their life. 

Other than that, this book discussed a lot of firsts: first love, first heartbreak, first time, etc. So, in this book there was lot more talk since Lara Jean is at that age and she's curious and insecure, both due to herself and Peter's relationship with Genevieve. It's no like graphic or anything, just general concerns and stuff, since Lara Jean is an old-fashion kind of girl. You could just tell from the start and I love her for that!

Some of my favorite quotes were:

“Lara Jean, I think you half-fall in love with every person you meet. It’s part of your charm. You’re in love with love.” 

and

“The first doesn't necessarily the last, but it will always be the first, and that's special. Firsts are special.” 

because they're so true and they say so much. I especially like the second line because it's half a think and as well as half a tongue twister.

By the end, even though things were tied up in a neat little bow, I felt it was too rushed. I didn't receive the closure I needed. And we didn't even get a epilogue like in the Summer series by Jenny Han also. I hope this book isn't the last of it! That it won't be a duology only! If it is, please give Kitty her own book because that last letter in the Target exclusive was NOT enough! 

Even so, this book had everything I love about Jenny Han's stories. It had humor, romance, and…well, that's all it takes to make a rom-com! But there's much more to it! This book had so many underlying messages about love, growing up, and being independent that came in simple yet clever messages. There's no doubt I'd read this book again much less the series because it was so cute and good!!

Enjoy!!
Rating:

Story: 9

Characters: 8

Enjoyment: 9

Overall: 

No comments:

Post a Comment