July 1, 2015

The Fill-in Boyfriend Book Review


Book Name: The Fill-In Boyfriend

Author: Kasie West

Published: May 5, 2015

Publisher: HarperTeen

Genre: YA Contemporary

Posted by:


Blurb:

When Gia Montgomery's boyfriend, Bradley, dumps her in the parking lot of her high school prom, she has to think fast. After all,she'd been telling her friends about him for months now. This was supposed to be the night she proved he existed. So when she sees a cute guy waiting to pick up his sister, she enlists his help. The task is simple: be her fill-in boyfriend--two hours, zero commitment, a few white lies. After that, she can win back the real Bradley.

The problem is that days after prom, it's not the real Bradley she's think about but the stand-in. The one whose name she doesn't even know. But tracking him down doesn't mean they're done faking a relationship. Gia owes him a favor, and his sister intends to see that he collects: his girlfriend's graduation party--three hours, zero commitment, a few white lies.

Just when Gia begins to wonder if she could turn her fake boyfriend into a real one, Bradley comes waltzing back into her life, exposing her lie, and threatening to destroy her friendships and newfound relationship.

Lisamentary:

Unsurprisingly, I really enjoyed The Fill-In Boyfriend!! So much so that I read it all in one sitting!! I just couldn't put it down! Kasie West does it again!! Like Kasie West's other books, it was super cute, fun, and captivating. This book in particular was about Gia who gets a guy to fill in as her fake boyfriend so her friends don't think she's a liar. What caught my interest was the fake boyfriend because we all know that that never ends pretty and I just had to know how the drama unfolds. And boy did things happen just they way I predicted. (This is a good things btw!!) Also, look at that cover!! LOOK! It's so pretty and has that lens flare thing going on. How could can I resist? Well, the answer is I couldn't and bought the book.

Back on topic now, Gia is the popular girl at her school who is not only student body president but also a brainiac who's UCLA bound like her friend Claire and later Jules, who she shares animosity with. She feels the need to be perfect because of her family, who's very distant and superficial in a way, and also because of the way people expect her to be. She doesn't know who she is so she puts on this fake persona that deceives everyone, including herself.

Being so lost and all, it made me like Gia that much more because Gia and I, we have a connection. A connection, people. Because I know someone going to UCLA!! I'm lost and confused!! I need direction too!! But unlike Gia, I don't know what's going to happen. Also, she tried to be a good person and thought about the consequences, even though she may have disregarded them, and that made her even more likable. If that's even possible. HAHAHAHHA of course it's possible!! While reading, I felt sad for Gia a lot of the time because her friends are sucky and so is her family. It's not until she meets Hayden and Bec that things start turning around for her.

I won't spoil it for you but Jules, one of Gia's "friends," is sooooooooooo annoying. Like girl, girl, stop being so insecure and spreading lies to make other people look bad. You're a sad person and I don't pity you. AT ALL. Like get off your high horse and stop putting your nose in Gia's business, ya creep. You're not the only person struggling so get off it! Even worse, Gia's "true" friends Claire and Laney always side with Jules. WHY ARE YOU SO BLIND?!?! Just because you feel bad for Jules doesn't mean you have to turn your back on Gia because that makes not only a bad friend but judge of character as well. So no. Just no. They really got on my nerves. So many times I asked, "Why are you even friends with them in the first place??"

Don't even get me started on her brother because he was a grade A a-hole. He's unbelievable.

On the bright side though, there's Hayden!!! Hayden's is Gia's fill-in boyfriend whose name was a mystery for awhile. Obviously, he's a nice guy, like super duper nice because he agreed to help a stranger out by being her fake date. Ever heard of stranger danger? Hello?? I guess he doesn't need to be that scared because well Gia's a girl and he's a guy and as sad as I am to admit this, it's scientifically proven that girls are stronger than guys. Sigh. He's also mellow, sweet, and understanding, which is just what Gia needed. Love Hayden! Especially with Gia!!

Almost forgot Bec, yet how could I? Bec is Hayden's younger sister and she was one of my favorites. She speaks her mind and is her own person. She is the only friend that stands by Gia in the end!! So go Bec!!! Hopefully, she gets her own book about her and Nate!! Fingers crossed!!!

Other than the characters, the plot isn't unique or anything but I liked it regardless!!! Who cares if it's cliché?!? I love cliché as long as it's not overly cheesy. The story was CUTE as were the main characters. The story wasn't dragged out or anything and was thoroughly entertaining. The first few pages weren't that great and I wasn't even sure I would like Gia, but I'm glad that I pushed through. This was definitely a wonderful summer read that I would recommend anyone looking for a fast, fun summer read!!!

Enjoy!!!!
Rating:

Story: 7.9

Characters: 7.5

Enjoyment: 9

Overall: 

No comments:

Post a Comment