May 9, 2015

The DUFF Book Review


Book Name: The DUFF

Author: Kody Keplinger

Published: September 7, 2010

Publisher: Little Brown/Poppy

Genre: YA Contemporary

Posted by:
Blurb:

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws a Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship. 


Until it all goes awry. It turns out Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy that she thought she hated more than anyone.



Lisamentary:

When I first picked up this book, I couldn't put it down. It captivated me so that I'm pretty sure I read it all in one sitting too. It was a easy read, well-paced, and made me laugh a little; thus, it had all the makings for a great rom-com. However, this is not to say that this book was outrageously great, but I did like quite a bit. It was a little cliché and predictable but clichés are clichés for a reason so nothing to hate. Also, no one died or any of that depressing stuff (not that I would willing read a book knowing someone died anyway). But most importantly, there was, of course, my favorite: an HEA ending!!!
Bianca is one of my favorite types of heroines. She has a dry sense of humor and is a little snarky, but she cares. She plays it off like insults and the things people say about her doesn't hurt her feelings when it does. This is most apparent in how she plays it off when Wesley, her later boyfriend, names her the "DUFF," designated ugly fat friend, and refers to her as "Duffy." At first, this really threw me off on Wesley because what kind of guy (ehem, ehem, jerk) goes around calling a girl "DUFF"? It's so mean and disrespectful. And for her to become friends with him made me ask, "What's wrong with you?!?!?!" Self-respecting girls should not consort with the enemy who calls her fat and ugly. It's just wrong in my opinion to hang out with someone who makes you feel worse about your self. Just a word of advice.Bianca also has a problem with running away from her problems and Wesley is her form of escape.

Now on to Wesley, I wasn't that into him in the beginning but over the course of the book, I really got to know him and to like him better. He has the typical case of poor-little-rich-girl problems, well rich boy for him, since he doesn't have the best family situation. I thought he was a perfect yin to Bianca's yang. Even though there was a quasi love triangle with Toby and Wesley vying for Bianca's attention, I knew Wesley and Bianca would end up together because I hate to say it but Toby didn't stand a chance.

Overall, the story was pretty standard, no plot twists or anything since it was a character-driven book. I liked the characters who were sincere, multi-dimensional people who became a pretty cute couple. Also, it taught an endearing lesson of how we all have insecurities and that it's okay ya-di-ya-ya-ya. I would totally recommend this for people to read if they just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy in some good high school drama fun. However, disclaimer alert, this book is obviously a little risqué since sex is a theme in this book. I actually thought that the author handled this nicely because she didn't make it put like girls who had sex were automatically sluts, which does occur in other YA books.

Like I mentioned earlier, it's a perfect rom-com in the making and I had a feeling it would become one even before the movie came out this year since I read this in like 2010/11, I believe.

Also, be on the lookout because Milla and I will be doing a review on the movie very soon!

Rating:

Story: 7.5

Characters: 8

Enjoyment: 7.8

Overall:

No comments:

Post a Comment